QUOTE OF THE DAY
“Every day we should hear at least one little song, read one good poem, see one exquisite picture, and, if possible, speak a few sensible words.”
—Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
More ICO Regulation Are Coming
From the Merkle "About a week ago, the cryptocurrency world received a bit of a nasty surprise. The SEC had officially confirmed it was looking into regulation of cryptocurrency ICOs. A new statement from the U.S. agency has clarified just what it aims to achieve in the long run."
Welcome to the land of the free.
You can read the full article here.
The team at ProtonMail has developed an automated system to facilitate payments with Bitcoin and has recently added a Bitcoin payment option.
You can read more about this here.
(If you're not familiar, ProtonMail is an end-to-end encrypted email service.)
PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT
Civilization Calls! Every Man, Woman, And Child!
I've written this before but I decided I will post this PSA periodically (with updates, every month or so?), hopefully it helps at least one of you from getting bamboozled.
Like it or not, if you hold cryptocurrency you're a pioneer in this space. As pioneers, you need to be more prudent when it comes to the security of your holdings. It pains me to read articles like this where people are getting hacked and getting their coins taken.
One of the joys of cryptocurrency investing/trading is being your own bank, and this is also the biggest risk. You need to realize the importance of being your own bank if you’re serious about handling cryptocurrency.
Now, I'm not telling you to go out and buy a hardware wallet (although you probably should). Learn the basics. Understand why it's more safe to use a computer that has never been connected to the internet before, when you are generating a new wallet (hint: you want it to be as secure as possible, duh).
And for the love of god, put Google Two Factor Authenticator on everything you can you donkey.
And I'm not done, here's another related reading on the matter with some tips.
AGAIN, so it sticks, if you don't have Google 2FA, you are prey (If you have 2FA you are still prey, admittedly much harder, and much more annoying prey).
BUT WAIT, there's more!
Here are some action steps that were shared in CoinSheet's Discord Server.
- Use http://protonmail.com/ — it has 2 password layers, almost impossible to get hacked. Infinitely more secure than gmail. Look up the team behind Protonmail and you'll realize why it's the best email provider on the web.
- Use Linux. Mint Linux is easy to use. Windows is back doored by the "3 letter agencies." You can easily get a virus or trojan horse with windows, while it's infinitely harder with Linux because of how the system is designed.
- Use 2FA for all your exchanges.
- Leave whatever you can afford to lose on the exchange; everything else, use your hardware wallet like Nano Ledger to keep it nice and safe.
- Never fall for phishing scams, if your using something important, make sure it's real.
Ok, now I'm done.
THINGS I LIKE
BitCrypto’ed wrote an interesting article titled "Are Fraudulent Tethers being used for margin lending on Bitfinex?"
You can read the article here.
Weekly Crypto-Cap Recap
My Current Sentiment: Neutral
Daily Number Indicator
Want To Connect? Have Questions?
Let me know on Twitter @dmitriy_or_dima.
Join The Discussion On Discord
Here's an invite: https://discord.gg/UTp6bCU
Want To Support CoinSheet? Do it, get perks.
Wait what!? You haven't subscribed?
Let's change that.